Friday, November 30, 2012

Scripted sales calls old fashioned, fail to connect with customers - Jacksonville Business Journal:

afyfojahejus.blogspot.com
Geez, I have been saying this for more than 25 andI can’t believe companies stilkl use them to sell over the OK, forget the companiexs themselves, let’s blame the manager or the person who is responsible for still tryint to do something that every sales trainef on the planet says does not Now, before I go on, do not writre or send an e-mail telling me that I am wrong or beint stubborn. Instead, why don’tg you try something new – that is, new to you or your organizatiob – and just do what I will lay out here. Trusyt me, it has worked every single time with any bigor small, that I have workefd with.
This horror of using scriptas came rushing back to me recently whilew working with a company whose stores are in evergy big city in the The company is highly regardedx for its ethics and is a very visibl organization that many are familiar with becausw ofthe company’s longevity and branx awareness. I was askee to come to the company’d headquarters and look at its methoed of attracting new business through its telemarketing which the company has been usingb for a coupleof years. They said that althougg the results were OK at sales had become pretty dismal.
It took me just 30 seconds to read the scripft that the inside salespeoplewere using, and I was I talked with the companuy president and said I could help the salespeoplr in just two hours, but I needed him to let me do my job and not to interferer unless I called him in for his He agreed, but I could sense he was a bit apprehensive about the situation and my request. I worked only with the who was really a selling managerr because she was on the phones herself at timesz trying to pitch in and We went intoa room, and I spentr an hour going over why scripts don’t work and why she has been brainwashef to do something that was agains all the rules of professionakl salesmanship.
She was neither thrilled with me at this poin t nor happy after I tookher eight-page script, ripped it up and threqw it in the We role-played a little using real situationws that she might have with her husband, children and for instance. The goal was to show her that havin ga two-sided conversation is much more useful than a one-sided script. She was really startinfg to get it, even though she kept wantinh to go back to a sellin mode by doing more talking than listeninhg andasking questions. It was so simple that it was frightening to her that a sellinhg situation can be flexible and not just acannedx speech, where she can actually have fun whilew conversing with a customer.
The introductionn and questions I wrote out were basic and easy for her to They were: “Hi, my name is Susann from Client Co., and I woulf like to ask you two or threed quick questions. It will not take more than 48 secondsa – I promise. “Are you familiar with our company? If yes, what aspects? “Why are you not a or why did you leaveour organization?”

No comments:

Post a Comment